Thursday, March 4, 2010

Getting Acclimated

Every time I think I'm getting to be a pro at getting around town, I realize I'm still completely clueless.  First off, our BOB jogging stroller is just about the most impractical thing for getting around downtown HK.  I have yet to see anything but umbrella strollers, so when I'm trekking around town with Fin, we're taking up way too much of the sidewalk, I'm clipping people's heels and people are looking at us like we're total freakshows.  Second, Hong Kong is situated on a mountain, which means that getting from one street to the next often involves about 25 stairs.  Obviously, that's not doable with a stroller, so I often find my seven-months-pregnant-self carrying my 28 pound child for blocks and blocks on our errands.  Again, people stare.  I'm a big, frizzy-haired pregnant woman carrying a child and a huge diaper bag and usually a bag of groceries.  It's inevitable that we stand out.  Luckily, it's not really getting me down and I just laugh at how ridiculous we must look.  Although I'm convinced my left bicep is noticeably larger than my right one, and that kind of bugs me.

This morning, I researched playgrounds in our area and Fin and I set out to go play.  After a long walk uphill and through several markets, we found it!  Yes.....one slide, two swings and a bunch of old and decrepit people wandering in to use the public toilets.  Oh well, Fin didn't mind and she enjoyed the space to run around!

Typical Fin....after playing a while she decided to make it her mission to pick up the leaves one by one and throw them away to clean up the park a bit.  I'm afraid that this quirky, OCD thing is a dominant gene from both Dave and I. 

Here's a typical side street in HK.  They look super run down, but it's just par for the course....

After playing for a while, we headed west to explore a new part of the neighborhood.  This sight made me do a double take, turn around, walk back and take a picture.  I really want to be open-minded about life here, but I just think there are some things I'm not going to be able to get used to!  Yes...that' s meat.  Just hanging out in the trunk of a van.  Shudder.

No comments:

Post a Comment