Wednesday marked the dragon boat championships in Stanley, as well as the Tuen Ng Festival. We made the rookie mistake of heading to the beach with the kids to watch the races....it was crowded, hot, humid and pretty much a bust! I think we lasted about 10 minutes before taking our sweat-covered bodies back home. It also made me laugh, because there was such a huge crowd, but no alcohol. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it made me think that if this were taking place on North Avenue Beach then it would basically be a huge drunk-fest. Anyway, we tried to partake in the cultural festivities and that's all that really matters....right?
The crowded beach and a boat race about to finish
I'm posting this pic only so my mom knows that I finally managed to figure out the baby wrap she bought me. Yay! Nolan spent over two hours napping in here while we walked around town, and I'm pretty proud that I turned 12 feet of fabric into a safe baby carrier. See his little ear poking out?!
Nolan is also a bit of a celebrity anytime I take him somewhere. Some of the mainland Chinese have never seen white kids, so right there they're intrigued. And the Chinese traditionally don't take newborns out of the house for the first 30 days of life....so seeing a tiny Western baby is a rarity for them. We tend to get stopped so people can admire him, ask how old he is and then just continue to stare until I finally cut them off and walk away. It's also interesting too, because when I take Finley to Stanley, the mainlanders won't hesitate to get their DSLR camera about two inches from Finley's face and start snapping pics....without even asking! Apparently western kids with curly hair are also a novelty.
First of all...no booze? This place is wacky. Come back to Chi for some real summer festivals! Secondly, how are you liking the Moby? It's recommended for twins b/c it can supposedly hold two newborns. I may need a tutorial. :)
ReplyDeleteI actually got the Wrap and Wear from Be Buy Baby. It's just like the Moby, but it's made of muslin (lighter weight for this HK heat) and stretches less. Now that I've got the hang of it, I really like it! It's comfy, easy to toss in the diaper bag and Nolan is happy in it. =) They're super helpful at BBB and will give you an extensive tutorial....
ReplyDelete