Saturday, July 10, 2010

Top/Bottom Five

All of us expats tend to talk a lot about what we like/dislike about Hong Kong.  We've been here almost 5 months, and it got me thinking about my own list.  Sorry for all the words in this post, Jana....

My 5 Favorite Things About Hong Kong
1. It's "easy living".  People here throw around these two words like people on The Bachelor throw around the phrase "here for the right reasons" - but they're right.  China is one of the few places in the world where live-in help is affordable which means no dishes, laundry, ironing or errands I don't feel like doing.  On another note, everything you buy is delivered to your door for free - whether it's clothes from a department store, groceries or dry-cleaning.  Oh, and cab doors even open and close automatically.  Really, it would be more accurate to call it "lazy living". 
2. The view.  I never understood the value of a good view (obviously - our sunroom in Chicago overlooks an alley), but I have yet to get tired of our sea view.  It's way better than your view.
3. The people.  The friends I've made are so great.  Because everyone is out here on their own, you become close quickly.  And even though I only knew two of the girls for a few months before they moved away, I know they'll be in our lives forever.   
4. The experience.  Even if they don't remember it clearly, I'm excited that Finley and Nolan get to live here.  And although it isn't always easy, it's been a good test for me.  I had NO clue I could survive so far out of my comfort zone (remember, I'm the girl who couldn't last a year in Denver).  The good news is, I'm doing pretty darn well.  We're having lots of fun together as a family, and it's interesting to experience life in a different culture - although I'll admit Hong Kong has a much more international feel to it than you'd guess when you think of China.
5. The travel.  We're planning our first vacation (Phuket, Thailand) and hope to see lots of places we never thought we'd make it to.  Too bad we have these darn kids slowing us down.  Kidding, only kidding.

The Five Crappiest Things About HK
1. The 8,000 miles and very long (15 hours), expensive flights between here and home.
2. Being so disconnected.  People are getting engaged, having babies (even twins!) and just living life and I'm missing it all.  I hate not being there for the little and big things going on in my family and friend's lives.  This is when I wish I could hop in my pod, push a button and be home in an hour.  Or less.
3. Food is effing expensive here.  I could cite countless examples, but it's damn pricey to live here because EVERYTHING is imported.  The grocery stores here make Whole Foods look like a bargain.
4. The shopping.  Okay, if I was a tourist I'd probably love all the swanky stores, fancy labels and fun things I could buy myself as a vacation "souvenir".  But I just want a Target.  Or an Anthropologie.  Or just a Gap.  Thank goodness my mom has graciously accepted the job of being my personal shopper and thank goodness all of our visitors have agreed to cart out all of my online purchases as well as Finley's favorite Jewel brand fruit snacks.
5. Guess what?  I can't think of anything else about life in HK that stinks.  That's good, right??

Okay, I promise no more wordy posts for a long, long time.

5 comments:

  1. I think you forgot how much better the coffee tastes here in Chicago! Especially when it's hand delivered by a favorite friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true....I focused on the big things though, because otherwise the "HK sucks" part of the list would be too long. ;)
    Ahhh, unshowered mornings drinking coffee on the couch... December, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Counting down the days. I may even purchase some special creamer to celebrate :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. By "special creamer" do you mean Baileys? ;) Because THAT would make for a fun playdate.

    And yes, 5 months from tomorrow we'll be trying to converse with one another in spite of three crying babies and two whiny toddlers. Should be FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This celebration will definitely call for some Baileys!

    ReplyDelete